While many consumers may not be aware of this at the start of their claim, our New Jersey lemon law attorneys are familiar with the advantages lemon law can provide to the consumer. We are also very familiar with the process of each manufacturer, so we can set up a plan that resolves your claim quickly and efficiently.
Our lemon law attorneys have experience litigating cases within New Jersey and are familiar with each step of the lemon law claims process. We can provide guidance, support, and encouragement to you during such a difficult time all while pushing the manufacturer for the compensation you deserve.
Why You Need a New Jersey Lemon Law Lawyer
You certainly have the right to represent yourself in lieu of hiring a New Jersey lemon law attorney. However, in doing so, you should know that dealerships and manufacturers will be counting on you to not understand the complexities of New Jersey’s lemon laws and the federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
These companies are also prepared to mount lengthy and costly legal battles, as they will be equipped with extensive financial and legal resources that you as an individual consumer likely won’t have on your own. If you represent yourself in a claim, a single missed deadline, appointment, or mistake in filing can cost you the compensation you deserve.
That’s why hiring a New Jersey lemon law attorney is vital to winning your case. Along with the legal expertise a qualified attorney can provide regarding state and federal lemon laws, an attorney can do the following:
- Ensure that you do not get lost in the complexities of federal and New Jersey lemon laws. Remember that manufacturers and dealers often reduce or eliminate responsibility through defective vehicles by relying on consumers to get lost in the process.
- Gather all of the required documentation needed to support your claim. This will include sales or lease agreements for your vehicle, your manufacturer’s warranty, records and timelines for reasonable repair attempts made on the vehicle. All of this will be fundamental evidence in your lemon law claim.
- Communicate and negotiate strongly with car companies and dealers. It is very easy for these companies to intimidate vehicle owners into receiving settlements for much less than they deserve. That is why it’s important to have a New Jersey lemon law lawyer who will be prepared to negotiate and potentially litigate on your behalf.
- Win you the compensation you deserve. Under New Jersey lemon laws, an attorney can advocate for your compensation, whether through a vehicle repurchase (commonly referred to as a buyback) or a cash settlement.
New Jersey Lemon Law Requirements
There are specific criteria that defective vehicles must meet in order to qualify for a New Jersey lemon law claim:
- A defect must arise within the first 2 years or 24,000 miles
- The vehicle must be returned to the dealership an unreasonable amount of times:
- 3 visits to the dealership and the defects continue
- 30 or more cumulative total days out of service
- The defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle.
Examples of Defects That Fall Under New Jersey Lemon Law
- Failure to change gears
- A parasitic draw that causes the vehicle’s battery to fail
- Brake lockup
- Four-wheel drive failure
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Requirements
- The defect must arise during the manufacturer’s original warranty period
- You must return at least once during this period for the defect
- This is a strict requirement, even one day or one mile after the warranty expires put you outside the coverage for breach of warranty
- The vehicle must be delivered to the dealership too many times for the same problem:
- This means 3 or more visits to the dealership; or
- 30 or more days out of service
Some examples of defects that fall under Breach of warranty are*:
- Consistent freezing of infotainment screen
- Radio fails to engage
- Lane assist alert problems
- Windows fail to go up or down
- The failure of the manufacturer to pay for a warrantable defect causing you to pay out of pocket for repairs
*The items included in this may also qualify for lemon law depending on the severity of the defect
Get a Free Evaluation With Our NJ Lemon Law Attorneys
Dealing with a defective vehicle can be a strain on your work and home life, but having an experienced lemon law attorney fighting for your rights can decrease this stress and expedite the lemon law process. Contact us today for a free evaluation and let us take on the stress and difficulty that can come with this process.